Хобі та захоплення

Вправляємось англійською

Posted by Солоха Конотопська on 28 лют 2016 відповідей - 106
  1. With all this talk about learning English on your own , why don't we have a thread where we can practise a bit :)

Here , to start , a little joke my friend send me the other day about Ukrainian on a diet:

A Ukrainian was terribly overweight, so his doctor put him on a diet.
    “I want you to eat regularly for 2 days, then skip a day, then eat regularly again for 2 days then skip a day ...
    And repeat this procedure for 2 weeks. The next time I see you, you should have lost at least 5 pounds.”

When the Ukrainian returned, he shocked the doctor by having lost nearly 60 lbs!
    “That's amazing!” the doctor said, “Did you follow my instructions?”
    The Ukrainian nodded....
    “I'll tell you the truth, by golly, I thought I was going to drop dead on the third day.”

“You mean from the hunger?” asked the doctor.

“No, from all that skipping!”

• Подобається Подобається x 4
    • Смішно Смішно x 2
  2. ariyzol

ariyzol New Member

Шось до кінця не зрозумів від чого йому погано.

3. From all that skipping :)

Гра слів: skip - пропустити (як урок в школі ) або підстрибувати (як кенгуру)

When I just started to learn English there were few examples I really liked so I remember them till now .

The difference between can and may (обидва з них в дослівному перекладі на українську означають - могти)

One nephew was visiting his aunt. While in her dining room, he asked : "Can I smoke here?" Her reply was: "You can, but you may not ." - Brilliant!

Or, when to say "sorry" and when to say "excuse me" - you say "excuse me" before you inconvenience somebody, and you say "sorry" after

Excuse me, do you have the time? (типу: Вибачте, ви знаєте котра зараз година?)
    I'm sorry, for being late. (Пробачте за запізнення)

• Подобається Подобається x 2
    • Зе бест! Зе бест! x 1
  4. Un.Known

Un.Known споглядач з лінійкою ) Команда форуму

Це те, що я інтуїтивно використовувала, але пояснити не могла. :)

Рада тебе бачити. :)

• Подобається Подобається x 1
    • Погоджуюся Погоджуюся x 1
  5. навзаєм . Так якось захотілось у минуле, але річка стірмка...

Ось вам "вправа" для читання :)

Ed and his wife Norma go to the State Fair every year and every year Ed would say:" Norma, I'd like to ride in that helicopter "

Norma always replied: " I know Ed , but that helicopter ride is fifty bucks. And fifty bucks is fifty bucks! "

One year Ed and Norma went to the fair, and Ed said:

" Norma, I'm 75 years old. If I don't ride that helicopter, I might never get another chance"

To this, Norma replied: " Ed, that helicopter ride is fifty bucks, and fifty bucks is fifty bucks"

The pilot overheard the couple and said: " Folks I'll make you a deal. I'll take the both of you for a ride. If you can stay quiet for the entire ride and don't say a word I won't charge you a penny! But if you say one word it's fifty dollars."

Ed and Norma agreed and up they went.

The pilot did all kinds of fancy maneuvers, but not a word was heard. He did his daredevil tricks over and over again, still not a word...
    When they landed, the pilot turned to Ed and said:

" By golly, I did everything I could to get you to yell out, but you didn't. I'm impressed! "

Ed replied: " Well, to tell you the truth,
    I almost said something when Norma fell out, but you know, -
    Fifty bucks is fifty bucks! "

• Смішно Смішно x 2
  6. Яська Березнева

Яська Березнева Well-Known Member

OMG... брррррррррр... мене аж саму перетрусило...

7. A black humor is a black humor :dirol:

[​IMG]

8. Howell

Howell Member

I new here, have just registered, but also would like to have any conversation.
    In my opinion it is good idea to have new thread at English.
    My goal is improove my Eng.
    so, I watch here around, what interesting things at this forum.

P.S. Little bit about me, I love my country, I love my family, I fond computer programming, and... I try find here some new social network friends...

• Подобається Подобається x 3
  9. Howell

Howell Member

At first, I must say sorry if any mistake happened, I still have been learnt Eng.

2 Солоха Конотопська.

-Maybe, we play conversation game :) Mh-m-m?
    For example, Lets imagine we are in cafe and talking. What you can say about yourself? Your personal traits?
    As I say little bit earlier I new here and maybe All users knew You but not I.

It's little funny, couse U dont know me So I can say "I'm superhero with best traits" or can present any kind of humans person :) but lets...
    So, I start first...
    - So if we in cafe, what would U like to drink? I will take beer (bear) and nuts :) to myself ( Can we say nuts?)...
    - If U ask me about my personality traits, who I'm, so I give answer. Let's I will be just smart programmer from seychell :) , it seems nice.
    I like diving, windserfing, active sunbathing, sometimes party,... optimistic, I think its enough...
    - Your turn, question and chatting....

10. Hey, that's OK, we all had to start somehow. Kudos for trying. How long have you been studying? I learned english at school, than at University and then when ended up abroad could not convert fluently and had to start all over again. Still learning. For example, I've just learned word "traits".

Maybe somebody else will find this idea appealing. It's been awhile since I played a chat-games :) Not looking for it: two-three posts a day, - that i can manage :)

But idea to have a drink is not that bad, I'll have a glass of French red wine. Cheers.

11. Howell

Howell Member

I can say almoust the same about my Eng. I have lernt it easy for long period, maybe more than ten years, but now I want to recieve TOEFL licence. In my opinion, upper-intermediate language level would be nice. I also take a tutor nowadays to practice my language.

Nice about game. Honestly, I also don't waste time in different social network, forums, etc, I need learn computer programing a lot, so one or few sentences chat-game per day will be good. It's just for fun :)

If any topic visitors also want play this game would be very nice. For example, he/she is a good friend of my(or your) so, of course, we invite him(her) to our company and order some ice-cream to our best friend's :)

About order U confused me, seems my bear :) with your French wine not the same levels. U made good choice, I notice this in my mind.
    - My name is Richard, what is your?
    - And what you like to do in your usual life?

12. Hope your tutor can get you through the TOEFL, I know some people who study English with a tutor and all they can say are sentences like "This is a dog", "I am a girl" :)
    My name is Soloha, in my "usual life" I doo usual stuff , in my "unusual life" I visit forums :)

P.S. They don't say "usual life" , rather "everyday life"

13. Howell

Howell Member

Ths, for "usual" :) I will note it. Maybe "daily life" also approach?

In my opinion, anyone can learn English itself becouse it is to many different Net recourses about learning English.
    I also learnt it myself but proplem with studing system, honestly absence one.
    I hope my tutor just give me English rules in right order.
    If we talk about "-Is tutor effective?" I think,
    1. Student must have his own strong goal, Why He/She needs study English. That's the prior.
    2. Student must study English itself.
    3. Tutor leads student. I'm agree that We can have different tutors and differend students, and as tutor such student are individual person so they must approach each other.
    We don't know, tutor's or studendt's fault in your instance.
    Must admit, my real name is Anatolij, unfortunately this name/nick was occupied, so I took nick "Richard Howell" - just I like it, and, seems, It is good prononciation :)

By the way, Will be polite and correct when I say "Ms Soloha"? :)
    (couse I can say Mrs, Miss, or Madam or whatever else)

Ms Soloha, it seems little bit unfair to answer just "do usual stuff" :) , it is short answer. Lets change question "- What would you like to do in your life?" Just imagine.

14. Pan profesor

Pan profesor Філософ 7-го розряду

London is the capital of Great Britain :cools:

• Зе бест! Зе бест! x 1
  15. Hyligan

Hyligan Іронічний

I am young pioneer :haha: who is on duty today:haha::haha::haha:

• Смішно Смішно x 1
  16. Pan profesor

:pardon:

17. Іспанка

Іспанка Чарівна білка:) Команда форуму

What a deep knowledge of English:))) Could you please tell us something more interesting?:)

• Погоджуюся Погоджуюся x 1
  18. Pan profesor

Me encanta hermosas chicas con grandes tetas :hi:

19. Absolutely, no tutor will help if person makes no effort. Tutor is just a nudge in right direction.
    I know :) I was just being silly.
    It would be. Because I'm married, official way also could be Mrs. However, c's we having just friendly conversation it's ok to use just my first name. That how it works in everyday life, no matter on age and relationships.
    Who's absent today?:)))
    And Geography! :)

• ... ... x 1
  20. Goldstein

Goldstein Егоїстка

Oh, so interesting thread ("thread" means "topic"?). Very, very in time. I am learning English one week. I also have a tutor. He is very proffesional, worked at the university, then taught pupils in the UAE. Every day I learn 5 new words, do some exercises. I want to watch English movie, but unfortunately I haven't time for this. My level is Intermediate.
    And some words about me. My name is Olesia. I work at the factory, that produces fruit tea and herbal tea. My passion is the reading. I am reading "Game of Thrones" (first part) now.
    P.S. When you will see mistakes in my text, please, correct me :)

• Подобається Подобається x 3
а де твій аватар? :)